Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

HARD WATER HAIR



I have not often shared my "Devon" hair with you. But trust me when I tell you it is something pretty special when compared to my "London" hair. It belongs to the soft, manageable, shiny categories. It is willing to be styled in the way I want it to be. 
In stark contrast, my London hair is like its rebellious, nasty little sister. It simply will not do what it is told. I style it into what are supposed to be loose waves and it sits, flat, uncooperative, tangled, static and sad. I muss it up, to give it a Parisian air of effortlessness but I end up looking like I live in a cardboard box. It is nothing short of a tale of haircare woe. 

I knew it was going to be hard moving back from Devon to London and accepting my Devon hair would turn its back on me until I returned. So, in a desperate attempt to make the transition easier, I decided to research hard water filters that could be attached to showers, hoping against hope it might make even a smidgen of a difference. I didn't want to spend my life savings on a swanky new device, so opted for eBay to test-drive this latest attempt to solve my London hair issues. I sent off for a universal shower filter which attached easily to my shower and waited to see what my hair-future held. I have to say, the results were more than I dared hope for. My hair didn't seem as static, as oddly sticky (I know, I know), as depressed. But I'm no fool, I've oft noted how, upon one's return to London, for some reason there is a grace period where you think the whole situation wasn't nearly as bad as you'd remembered it, and then... the hard water creeps up on you like a thief in the night, mocking you for ever thinking it could be different. 

But miraculously, we're a good couple of weeks in and my hair is more or less as it should be! There is still the slight day of static, but I curl it, and the waves stay. I run straighteners through it and it doesn't look like I spent the morning rubbing a balloon against my head. I leave it do to its thing naturally, and it is actually shiny, rather than dull. All in all, I have to say I'm very, very pleased. So far, this little filter is doing exactly what I hoped it would do (touch wood). The filter has to be replaced every three months or so, but at around £12, this is no more than one might pay for a build-up reducing shampoo. 

So I wanted to pass this on, in the hope that it might help others with their own hard water hair problems. Trust me, it is definitely more than worth a try! 

I bought mine from the The Water Filter Men via eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!