Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2013

THE FRAGRANCE QUEST

Untitled #30
I kid you not, I have used the phrase 'perfume crisis' a shameful amount of times over the past few weeks. Frankly saying it just once is a tad shameful. 

I have always been very picky about my perfumes. I demand quite a lot from them. I shy away from strong, heady, smoky, rich perfumes, which serve only to make me feel a bit travel sick. Ideally I like my perfumes to be light (but with staying power), fresh, pretty, with a dash of complexity thrown in for good measure (and all wrapped up in a beautiful, simple bottle). I love the ritual of putting on perfume before leaving the house. It's such a perfectly chic finishing touch.

In the past I've definitely been guilty of buying perfumes that are decidedly not me, buying before trying because I've fallen for the hype, or the beautiful bottle, or knowing it has graced the pulse points of my sartorial heroes. Par example: I'd love to love Byredo's Gypsy Water or Bal D'Afrique, Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower, Kai, Diptyque's Ombre dans L'Eau, Jo Malone's Blackberry & Bay and everything by Le Labo... but I'd just be lying to myself (and making myself feel nauseous into the bargain). 

Up to now, my favourite perfumes (that are no longer in rotation) have been: 
Diptyque Eau de Lierre, Diptyque Eau Duelle, Jo Malone Wild Bluebell, Byredo Pulp
Still in rotation: 
Jo Malone Lime, Basil & Mandarin (for work) and Creed Love in White (spring/summer)


I think, if I'm honest, my ongoing quest for new perfect perfumes comes down to wanting a perfumes that are 'me', but also contain an aspirational element - 'the me I want to be'.  I think this is why I will most probably not be the sort of person who has one signature scent. I like to think I'll have a collection of signature scents, archiving different stages of my life and the development of my tastes. When I spritz perfumes I have previously worn, they enable me to take a trip down memory lane. When I stumble across a new scent, it is like turning over a crisp, fresh page. New perfumes feel full of possibilities. 
Given the close of summer, my beloved Love in White doesn't feel right for the new season, rendering me in a perfume-less rut! The quest is back on in earnest, and with any luck, the "crisis" will be over soon. 

X

3 comments:

  1. I think finding the right perfume is incredibly difficult. I remember stumbling across Flowerbomb a good seven years ago, which stuck, until I decided to go for something a little more grown up - to tell you the truth, the scent is now no longer what I once thought it was. Funny how taste changes. I'm curious to try the Diptyque perfume though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the perfume crisis. I know exactly where you're coming from. I prefer fragrances that aren't worn by the masses. I'm currently wearing Ortigia Sicilia Finco D'India and Diptyque Philosykos both of which I think are quite unusual. At the moment I think I'll love them forever but as time passes I just know I will be looking for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to stick with a "green" perfume in the sense that it's light and fresh - I can't do anything which is sweet and vanilla or particularly heavy and I don't tend to change too often or through the seasons. My favourite currently is Prada D'Iris (nice bottle too) and has been my constant for the last couple of years. It's just a suggestion but maybe worth a try? I have to say when I tried the Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay, it wasn't for me - it actually smelt a little "sweaty" and that can't be good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!